Research Associate Position: “Visual Computing Research Group (VCG)”
Location: Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies, Nicosia, Cyprus
Contract Type: Fixed-term contract. Initial one-year employment contract with the possibility for renewal. Includes a very attractive remuneration package according to qualifications and experience.
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE (www.rise.org.cy) is a newly founded research centre of excellence in Nicosia, Cyprus. RISE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck Institute, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. RISE engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
Visual Computing Research Group
The Visual Computing Group focuses on a spectrum of topics in the areas of computer vision, machine learning, and computer graphics. The group primarily works on deep neural network architectures for acquiring and understanding real-world environments at multiple scales, ranging from single objects, indoor scenes, buildings, and ultimately entire cities. Some of the group’s latest projects include 3D point-based deep neural networks for shape semantic segmentation and material recognition, generative adversarial networks for texturing 3D urban environments, and graph-based deep neural networks for 3D building segmentation. The group also maintains active collaborations with companies in the area of interactive media, offering opportunities for applied projects and internships.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct fundamental and/or applied research in the group’s areas of expertise, including scene understanding, deep learning, computer vision, geometry processing, shape reconstruction, shape analysis, and semantic segmentation. The position holder will also participate in the preparation of research proposals for funding, project reports and deliverables, and travel abroad for dissemination activities. Furthermore, position holders should publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals and contribute to the research centre’s key performance indicators. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Visual Computing Research Group Leader, Dr Melinos Averkiou.
- Postgraduate degree with an emphasis on Computer Vision / Computer Graphics / Machine Learning from an accredited institution. Exceptional candidates holding a BSc may also be considered.
- Strong coding skills in Python, Matlab, C++, C (experience with CUDA is an advantage).
- Confidence in mathematics (e.g., linear algebra, geometry processing, probabilistic methods).
- Proven experience with ML/DL frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, FastAI).
- Knowledge of Conda package and environment management system, Docker or Kubernetes will be considered an advantage.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Prior publications in the area are desirable but not essential.
- Excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English language.
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates according to qualifications and experience, including membership to the RISE Employee Medical Scheme and RISE Provident Fund.
- A cover letter which clearly specifies (i) employment availability date, (ii) part-time and/or full-time availability and (iii) rationale on why you think you would be a good fit for the Visual Computing Group. This should include a description of academic and research experience as well as any relevant industrial experience where applicable (500 words maximum).
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Copies of degree certificates (BSc/MSc/PhD).
- Two representative publications (if applicable).
- Contact details of two referees, either two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee. References will only be requested for short-listed candidates.
Note that if you previously applied for a post at RISE, a new application is required.
Deadline: Friday, February 28th, 2020
Applications will be reviewed in the order received.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.