Research Associate Positions at theLaboratory for Internet Computing, U. of Cyprus
The Laboratory for Internet Computing, Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (LINCUCY) announces the availability of a number of Research Associate/Special Scientist positions in Cloud Computing. The funding for the positions is provided by the European Commission under the FP7 Collaborative Project “CELAR: Automatic, multi-grained elasticity provisioning for the Cloud,” which aims at providing automatic, fine-grained resource allocation for Cloud applications. CELAR will start in 10/2012 and finish in 09/2015, and comprises the following institutions: Athena Research and Innovation Center (Greece); University of Cyprus (Cyprus); Technical University of Vienna (Austria); GRNET (Greece); PlayGen Ltd (UK); Institute of Cancer Research – Royal Cancer Hospital (UK); SIXSQ SARL (Switzerland); Flexiant Ltd (UK).
The successful candidates will focus on a set of tasks aiming to develop a complete set of open-source tools that will allow the enhancement of a Cloud platform towards automatic, intelligent, multi-grained resource provisioning according to the needs of user applications. Specifically, the LINC-UCY team will focus its efforts on designing and developing the following tools: (i) the c-Eclipse framework, which will be built on top of the reliable eco-system of Eclipse, will provide plug-ins for accessing and managing Cloud resources on the envisioned platform; (ii) the Cloud information subsystem, which will contain a Cloud resource description framework and search capabilities for Cloud resources; and (iii) a scalable, multi-layer Cloud Monitoring tool that will gather a rich set of platform, infrastructure and application-side metrics and evaluate them in a composite fashion. LINC-UCY will also support integration and application development.
Requirements, Eligibility Criteria and Funding: Successful candidates are expected to conduct original research, development, and integration in collaboration with the principal investigators of CELAR at LINC-UCY, and to contribute actively to the activities planned in the context of the project (software design and development, project management, participation to meetings and events, preparation of deliverables, scientific publications of project results). Applicants are expected to have strong analytical and software development skills, extensive knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Experimental performance evaluation of parallel and distributed computing systems;
- Distributed data management and Cloud data management;
- Middleware and distributed computing systems;
- Data mining, information retrieval.
We are looking for highly motivated and committed applicants, with a strong work ethic, good command of spoken and written English, good communication skills and willingness to collaborate with other researchers and developers having diverse backgrounds. Experience with writing research papers and technical reports, Eclipse, OSGi, TOSCA, WSDL is a plus, but not mandatory. Knowledge of the Greek language, although considered a practical advantage, is by no means a requirement. Available positions and specific skills expected are described below:
- [CELAR-SR1]: Senior Research Associate (a Ph.D. degree is required). Eclipse programming and software architecture; Experience with design and implementation of tools for HPC, such as Application Description and Job Submission; Experimental performance evaluation of applications and HPC systems; computational job management; Project Management.
- [CELAR-SR2]: Senior Research Associate (M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree required): Cluster and/or Grid Monitoring Systems; Performance Evaluation; Information Retrieval and Data Management; XML, RDF, Lucene, Relational and Cloud Databases; Project Management.
- [CELAR-RA]: 2 Research Associates (a M.Sc. degree is required): Advanced programming skills in Java, Web Services, Middleware, and Workflow Environments.
The positions are for 12 months, starting in late 2012, and can be extended to up to 3 years. The annual (gross) salary is in the order of EUR 14,000 - 26,000, depending on qualifications and prior experience. Applicants need not be citizens of the Republic of Cyprus.