The CREATE project (Constructivist Mixed Reality for Design, Education, and Cultural Heritage) aims to develop a mixed-reality framework that will enable highly interactive real-time construction and manipulation of virtual worlds based on real data sources, resulting in experiences that couple realism and interactivity. In particular, CREATE will:
1. Design new methodologies to determine user requirements based on a humancentred, constructivist" approach to working and learning, with special attention to evaluation,
2. Provide a set of techniques for a realistic capture of real sites, that can subsequently be used in immersive virtual reality displays,
3. develop, adapt and combine novel, visualisation, display, interface, and audio technologies based on user requirements, to enable realism with interactivity,specifically for VR/AR/MR applications.
The above framework will be applied and tested to cultural heritage content in an educational context, as well as to the design and review of architectural/urban planning settings. Specifically, these applications will be realised by building two prototypes that will be developed for a number of different immersive virtual reality platforms and demonstrated.
Description of work
The CREATE workplan consists of the project management and dissemination exploitation workpackages as well as five technical workpackages:
1. Case Study Definition, Design and Methodology.
2. Data Collection and Overall Scene Construction, to acquire existing site data.
forming the basis for construction and reconstruction for the case studies.
3. VE Enhancement: Re-lighting, Rendering, Population and Sound.
4. Prototype Integration and Interface, to bring together the results of the techniques
developed in the other workpackages, and to design and implement the interface
5. Evaluation, where the goal is to evaluate the effectiveness of the performed work